I don’t often post about other games here, but I wanted to take a look at the uproar over Mass Effect 3 and the endings, and something it says about games and gamers in general. I promise there is a tie in to Eve at the end, but to explain the ME3 situation will require a lot of background.
<There are ME spoilers here, so be warned. Also I have always played a paragon female Shepard, so I refer to Shep as “her”, and may have only directly experienced portions of the game available to a paragon.>
If you have been living under a rock for the last few weeks you may not have noticed the anger amongst players of ME3 over the various endings available. There are a few complaints, briefly:
- The ending is illogical, employing a dues ex machina once the Crucible is activated.
- The behaviors of the team mates are illogical, with them all teleporting to the Normandy, as is the consequence of the Mass Relays being destroyed.
- The sudden change of the nature of the synthetic-organic conflict does not take into account anything the player has done.
- The 3 endings are, aside from colors and types of explosion, identical.
- The 3 endings are all “bad”, in that Shepard dies, all life is either destroyed or is scattered, and the mass relays are gone, making everything Shepard and team have done a pyrrhic victory at best.